Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Voting

I know this is a hot topic and I am really not trying to stir up a discussion, just getting my thoughts down. As of yet, I have not voted. I really want to because I think this is an important election and I totally understand that women long before me fought hard for the right to vote and I should not take this right for granted. This was drilled into me in graduate school and it does make perfect sense. I am also not one of those people that think my vote does not matter. However, I am always on the fence when it comes to who I am going to vote for. I think the reason is because I am not 100% crazy about either one. There are things I like and dislike about both. I have my moral convictions and my social convictions. In my field, I see the social problems a lot more than the average Joe does. I get tired of people talking about the lower or middle class being somehow undeserving of "breaks" or seen as not working hard enough to put themselves in the next income bracket. In this country, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Which is just fine for the rich. Me and my husband are both college educated people who by the world's standards are by no means rich. We chose professions to help others and are not the most glorified professions so we choose to do what we feel like we are meant to do rather than what makes us the most money. I don't expect a pat on the back or nothing but I don't see how just because someone makes a lot of money in their business or other highly paid profession, that they deserve the break. To me something is wrong with that. Not mention people who are way less fortunate than most of us are and did not get brought up with the same values or opportunities that other people have. I believe that not all people can just "pull themselves up by their boot straps." The moral convictions are also strong. I think there are things that are proposed that are 100% against the will of God. Conservatives usually stand up for these moral values but if you think about it even though a canadate says they are against one of theses issues they rarely do anything about it. I don't want to get into specifics and stir up anything but this is just what I see and what I think. So, I hope that by November 4th I am able to get my thoughts together and just make a decision and then pray for the person that wins to make good decisions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shannon,

I see where you are coming from, and I'd like to offer up an idea. What about writing in your vote? Here's a post on another blog about this practice: http://sowhatcanido.blogspot.com/2008/10/write-in-your-candidate.html. This post is more about doing it when there are unopposed candidates, but I think there might also be value to this concept for someone in a position like yours. If you truly don't feel right about checking one of the listed candidate's names, perhaps you could go in there prepared to put down the name of a real (and alive) person who you think would represent your vote the best. I'm sure many people would consider this "throwing away" your vote, but I disagree. Your vote is YOURS to do with it what you want. The only way you can waste it is to keep yourself out of the polling booth.
I know we don't usually (ever?) see eye-to-eye on political issues--which I think makes us valuable as friends to each other--so be proud of me for not urging you to vote any one way. But I do hope you will vote and participate in this process. Even if you vote for Katie Holmes.

sdhorton said...

I love the Katie Holmes part! That lets me know you are truly my friend! I am going to vote for one of the two. I think I my process will be what I think is most valuable to our country at this time. I think I have my guy in mind but I am not saying who because I don't want to hear it from those that disagree. You are awesome Brooke. In many ways I wish I was more like you!