Monday, October 6, 2008

Random things I have learned since becoming a mom

All the cliches you hear while pregnant or before are true. For example, "sleep while you can" or "sleep when the baby sleeps". Before I had Nash, I had to have at least 8 hours sometimes more like 9 or 10. Now I am amazed that I can function with such little sleep the last almost 4 months. (notice I said that I can function not how great I can function). I am also amazed at how much better I feel when I even have a one hour nap or a longer stretch of sleep at night (meaning 4 or 5 hours) vs. 2 hours really awesome to have a 6-8 hours stretch. This weekend I took a 2 hour nap with Nash and felt like superwoman afterwards. I cleaned a lot more than I would normally and felt like I had a whole night's sleep. I was almost giddy. On the flip side of that, little sleep really affects you. I say and do the craziest things sometimes. Yesterday, I put my fudgesicle in the fridge that I was going to save for later. This morning I put my nursing bra (the sport kind) on backwards and did not notice it until I went to feed Nash. Chris will be able to testify to other crazy things I have said and done. It's like it is hard to get your thoughts together. You know what you are trying to say but it does not come out right.

Another one is "your body will never be the same afterwards". I am proud that I only have a few pounds to lose to be at my prepregnancy weight and my little guy is almost 4 months. BUT it's different, I am not sure how it just is. In some ways I know how just don't want to get to graphic on here.

"Your life will never be the same". I am sure there is more for me to learn on this as he grows and time passes but I already know this to be true. Not necessarily in a bad way all the time. Sure I would love to have a full night's sleep, sleep in, or not have to worry about anyone but myself from time to time BUT I would not change it for anything. That is another way you will never be the same. I really did not put myself as number one before but now I am even further on the list. The men in my life (Chris and Nash) are my world!

"You never thought you could love someone you just met so much" So true. This new person already has your whole heart from day one. It's wild! I get so emotional about him in no time flat. I am even stingy on who I give his pictures too because I want them all. When he has that pitiful cry with his lip quivering, it breaks my heart.

People say in regards to going back to work "it gets easier". That first day was horrible. I cried when I was with him, I cried when I left, I cried when I get to work, you get the picture. It is easier in just that it gets routine. Don't get me wrong. There are many days if not every day. I wish I could just be home with him but it somehow does get easier and you don't think about it as much. A lady at work said it best. I did not understand at first but I get it now. "It gets easier but not better".

I am sure there are more but I think this enough for now. I guess there is a reason cliches become cliches.

No comments: