Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Finding a Balance

For me, one of the key things in life is to find a balance. What I mean by that is if you look at all your roles you play in life you can easily put way too much time in one and neglect some of the others. For me, being a mom is a big part of my life right now. I love it but it is also my responsibility right now. If you think about it a 4 month old can't do much for himself (not that I am complaining). I think the balance comes in with my other roles. I am also a wife, I have a career, I have family members, I have other important friendships, and a spiritual life. It is sometimes easy to neglect some of those other roles while I am focused on the main ones. I think it is important to list your priorities. For me, it is being a wife and mother first. I think my spiritual life is also a part of that and is always the bigger picture. I know any of the roles in my life I could get way to obessed with, we all could. Like people who spend all their time working on their career or making money and neglect their family. Or people that spend all their time on being a parent and neglect their spouse. Or even the more controversial topic, people who spend all their time at church activities or "doing good things for others" and neglect their own family and their own spiritual lives. I am not saying that I do this well. For me, it is a struggle. I try to remind myself of what is important and to make sure I am not neglecting anyone of my roles but also putting them in the right order. For me personally, it's like I do less rather than more (if that makes sense). I am so afraid of not being a good wife or mom that I may neglect friendships or other activities. I'd rather focus on the most important things to me. This is not always great either. So, I am trying to look at myself and making sure I am finding a balance in my own life. I think there are times that one area or role needs more attention than others. I think as long as we are aware of it and making an effort that is what matters.

No comments: