Okay, at Nash's doctor's appointment yesterday the doctor said at his six month check up that he needs a flu shot. When I told people at work about it they were all polite but basically said "don't give that baby a flu shot". Now I am perplexed. I am the kind of person that I go with whatever is "recommended". If the doctor says that he needs a flu shot, I assume I need to give him a flu shot. I was also scared from this news story I saw on the Today Show where a little girl died very quickly from the flu and that pediatricians are recommending kids from 6months to 5 years old get the flu shot. Apparently, when kids or small children get the flu they can get bad sick.
The other argument is that he is just a baby. He has to have so many shots why add another that is not necessary and you don't even know if it will be effective at him not getting the flu. He is not around other kids much, because my mom and mother-in-law keep him at home, therefore he has a lower chance of being exposed. Also, there is a lot of speculation that all the vaccines kids get cause autism and other serious problems. Also, the flu shot itself can make him feel bad.
My only experience with the flu shot was last year. I got it while I was pregnant because it was recommended that pregnant women get the flu shot because it is dangerous for them to have the flu for obvious reasons. It did hurt like crazy because it was in the muscle and I was sore for a couple of days. However, I did not feel sick from it. With that said, I will probably get one again this year because it is recommended that people who are around babies and little kids get the flu shot so you don't pass it on.
I guess my fear is that if he does not get it and then he gets the flu I would feel awful even though it is not 100% guarantee. That is why I am getting the shot. So I truly don't know what I am going to do. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or opinions on this topic and I am going to keep researching the subject before his sixth month appointment.
2 comments:
Hi Shannon! It's your cousin Amanda. I would go with the flu shot. Who do you trust more with your child's health, the pediatrician or some women at work? Besides, your doctor is not going to recommend something that is detrimental to your child's health. Also Tate got a flu shot when he was about 6 mos old and he was fine. By the way, you should check out Tate's blog sometime. It's adventuresoftate.blogspot.com
We're not giving August a flu shot this year because unlike other vaccines (now) it *does* contain mercury. He doesn't go to daycare so we can minimize his exposure and even if he does get sick, we'd rather deal with that.
The blood brain barrier isn't developed enough at his (and August's) age we think to chance it.
...just our two cents.
Jay Williams
Post a Comment