Wednesday, October 15, 2008

4 Month Check up

Nash had his 4 month check up this morning. He wieghs 16lbs and 3oz. He is 25 and 1/2 inches long. He is still in the 75th percentile and he is growing at the same rate. His shots were horrible. He had to have 4, 2 in each leg. I was optimistic today thinking "he's bigger now he will probably do better than last time". I stood away while the nurse and my mom held him down. I don't want him to associate me with the shots. The first one went in and he screamed so loud and could not catch his breath, then there were three more!!! Shots are just awful. I don't understand why they have to give him so many at once. I would hate to have four shots in a roll like that. His face was beat red, he had a pitiful cry, and he just wanted to be held with his paci. That is where I come in! Ok, enough about the shots.
I had my list of questions that I had for the doctor and was surprised about the answer to some of them. I told her how his sleep pattern is never the same. The longest stretch of time we have had lately was about 4 hours. When my husband was gone about a month ago, all week he slept 7-8 hours straight. She said from 12 to 6 to not get him out of the bed. If he wakes up crying I can go pat him or give him his paci to comfort him but not to pick him up. It's called the "crying it out method". She said at his age and weight. He should be able to go that 6 hours, preferably sleeping without needing to eat. In a way it makes me sad because of the guilt of not picking him up when he is crying like I have been used to. Another way it makes me relieved that I don't have to get up with him so much. I talked to a friend of mine that uses the same doctor. She said at their four month appointment that is what she said and it worked great. Her son started sleeping through the night fairly soon after starting this. So, I've got my fingers crossed! I don't know about starting it tonight though because he is so fussy after his shots. Maybe the Tylenol will help him sleep and I won't have to worry about it.
The other big news is that we are going to start fruits and vegtables soon. I have been giving him rice cereal. We are about to start oatmeal. Then in a few days we will do fruits and veges with cereal added. It will be interesting to see which ones he likes.
I also asked about breast feeding because I wanted to stop around 6 months. One she encouraged me to get a flu shot because even though he can't have the vaccine now he will get it through me. Then at six months (his next appt) he needs to get the shot. She suggested that I continue breast feeding through March!!! She said that if I stop at six months that will be around the bad months for getting sick and he would be better immune if I continue to breast feed. She said by then he will only be feeding 4 or 5 times a day. I don't know what I am going to do about. Personally, I think 6 months is pretty good to have breast fed. Nine months sounds a little old to be still breast feeding. I realize some mom's breast feed until their kids are toddlers but that's not for me. I may do a compromise and pump but give it to him by bottle. We'll see.

3 comments:

Jay W. said...

I can't wait to start feeding August 'real food.' I loved doing that with Ella. It's great. It really fun when you can start cooking food for them that they ask for - like eggs in the morning. Ella used to eat so many strawberries I just knew she'd turn red. Good stuff!
Jay Williams

Cristi Walker said...

Hey Shannon this is Cristi (DJ's wife). I know you don't want to breastfeed until Nash is a toddler, but it is a VERY good idea to breastfeed through March. The immunities you give him through your milk he can't get anywhere else. Even though it may seem like a long time to you, you will thank yourself if you do. He will be sick SO much less than if you stopped breastfeeding. You will be glad when you are spending less money on doctor's bills and staying up less with a baby with a fever and runny nose. I was curious also, were you going to start him on formula when you quit breastfeeding? Just wondering. I don't agree with the "crying it out" method. That's just my personal opinion. I know you want your sleep but I don't think it is good for babies to cry it out. Now when they are 2 or 3 years old and throwing a fit, that is different. But when they are infants they are crying because something is wrong or they need something or they want to be comforted. They learn how to trust when they cry and we come and get them. I know it is tiring but I don't think it is good for them to cry endlessly. He will eventually start sleeping through the night on his own. I hope everything is going great for you.

sdhorton said...

I don't know what I am going to do yet. I will keep breastfeeding as long as I can and start supplementing with formula if needed.
The crying it out thing, I really haven't had to do that because he has started sleeping a lot better. I have gotten up at time or two when he cries and then just giving his pacifer and pating him and he goes back to sleep. She said to do that way he would be comforted but not be up all night. Her point was just that he did need to eat every time he woke up. I'm just learning as I go!