Wednesday, January 21, 2009

my mommy instincts are dead on!

It has been confirmed. There is a tooth(bottom left) trying to make it's way through. I thought I saw a white spot on his gum the other day but couldn't really tell because he would move his head or stick his tounge out over his gum. Then I thought maybe it was just from me pushing on his gum that made the white spot. Also, I assumed the spot would be more like on the top of his gum but it is in the middle working it's way up (which makes more sense now that I think about it).
I had a "feeling" that he may be teething a few days ago when he was not sleeping good, fussy, and coughing but then it turned into stopped up nose, sneezing, gunk in the eye, and congested. So I thought maybe it's a cold. Now, the white spot is very visable and my instinct has been confirmed.
What is weird is that I have read pediatricans say different things. Some say the cold symptoms are not a part of teething and that they should be checked if they have cold like symptoms. Others say it could be related to teething due to the extra saliva and them just reacting to the tooth coming in. Two of my friends told me their kids had the same symptoms when they were teething. So, I was planning to wait it out until he either had a higher fever or green stuff coming out of his nose or I knew for sure it was a tooth. Now, I know runny nose, sneezing, gunk in eye, coughing, fussiness=teething.
Also a good tid bit I found out from a friend is that her doctor told her that Tylenol does not touch the teething pain but Motrin does (after 6 months old they can have Motrin). I would imagine, if you think about a tooth working it's way through your gums, to a baby that is pretty painful. So, we are going to go with the Motrin. He really does look pitiful. His eyes are watering, he has trouble breathing, he feels warm, and just wants to be held. We will get through it and I am glad to know that it's what is happening. From now on, I am trusting my mommy instincts and when the tooth finally makes is grand entrance I will post a picture.

4 comments:

katandkarl said...

AHH! Now you have made me question my doctors appointment tomorrow! i don't want to be sent home with "TEETHING" as the diagnosis. :)

nate has a wicked cough.

sdhorton said...

I think it would depend on if he is having a high fever and other symptoms. It is always safer to get it checked out even if it is just teething.

Unknown said...

Man, this is just the kind of thing I'm not looking forward to! You gals better get ready for lots of phone calls from me!

Big Fan of Trace,Gracie, and Nash said...

Shannon, I so enjoy all these post about "our little man".He is such a sweetie.I came down with myself a nasty cold Thursday night and have been pretty much in bed since other than helping dad with a couple of things yesterday,then it was back to bed again. I can't wait to see Nash with that beautiful smile of his (plus teeth)! I love guys! Mom