Sunday, January 18, 2009

Don't know what is going on

Nash's sleeping patterns have constantly changed since we have brought him home. He has been doing well since about 4 months but still gets up one time a night. In the last few weeks, occasionally when he woke up he did not really want to go back to sleep and would scream. Even then he would go back to sleep relatively soon. He has been doing this the last three night straight but not going back to sleep for over an hour. I don't know what it is. First I thought it was because his schedule is off. Friday night we went to the Owls basketball game. He did real good and we got home about 9:00 and he went to bed. Then he woke up about 1:30 to eat again. I laid him back down. Five minutes later he woke up screaming. He looks tired, he acts tired, but as soon as I put him back in his bed he screams. I am talking sobbing. So usually I try everything I can think of and nothing really works until about an hour and half later he is so tired he goes back to sleep. The weird thing is he looks sleepy but he just keeps his eyes wide open. He does not necessary play. He just wants to bed held. Today at church, he was getting tired. I took him to the nursery. I told them he was getting tired and he could just be laid in the bed and he would go to sleep with his paci and blanket (which is normally true). They came and got me five minutes later. He was balling, sobbing, big tears and all. I get him from the lady, take him to the infant room where he just makes sad sobbing noises. I rock him and then he goes to sleep. I don't know what to think. Other than at church today he normally just does it at night time. I don't know if this is just a phase, if he is having some separation anxiety and just wants mommy, or could he possibly be starting to teething? I just don't know. He is normally so good and happy and usually goes to sleep pretty easily. He only gets fussy when he is tired or hungry but he really is well natured. I get comments all the time of people saying "Is he always this happy?". I have noticed that if we are around people he does not see all the time and they are holding him he keeps me in his sight and cries after a little bit wanting me back. I have not seen any new signs of teething but I really don't know what to look for. I feel his gums and don't feel anything but I don't know what to feel for either. I am at a loss. Maybe it is a combination of things. If you can provide me any insight, I would love to know what you think.

2 comments:

Shawn, Sarah, and Lily said...

Lily's sleep pattern is not very consistent either. She usually wakes up once a night(time varies), but she usually goes right back to sleep. Lately, though, she hasn't been wanting to go right back to sleep. The other night she did the whole screaming thing for a while. Finally, I gave her some gripe water because I thought maybe her belly might be hurting her. She went right to sleep after that. Anyway, not sure if you've heard of gripe water. It's something my babysitter recommended to me for gas and belly aches. But, it's good for teething, hiccups, restlessnes....lots of things. It's all natural, so no drugs involved. We don't give it to her all the time, but if she's crying and we don't know why, it always seems to settle her really fast. We love it!! You can get it at Anne's Health Foods, if your interested. Sorry such a long comment :)

sdhorton said...

I do have some of that and I will try it. Thanks. I had no idea it worked for teething. Last night I let him bite on a teething ring and he liked it so maybe he is teething. I don't know. Thanks again.