Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mother's Day Out ????

I have been debating on putting Nash in Mother's Day Out for a couple of days a week. I am torn. I keep going back and forth. The place we will put him his is a nice place, they know us, we know them, it is affiliated with Chris's school so he will be right there if he were needed. There are a lot of pluses and I probably would not even be thinking about it if that weren't the case. I definitely would not want him in full time right now if I didn't have to. So, when the two day a week thing came up I thought if I am going to do it now that would be a good amount of time.
Originally in my head I thought 2 years of age is a good time to start the some sort of child care for social interaction and I still kind of think that. I don't think he NEEDS to have social interaction now because developmentally I don't think he is to that stage yet. I have researched it and there isn't much out there. Actually I found a really discouraging article saying the more percentage of time a kid is in day care the higher number of behavioral problems they have.
As you all know my mom and Chris's mom have been watching him and they are willing to keep watching him and enjoy the time they have with him. Things come up from time to time and they have to switch days but we generally work something out. I think I have only had to take off for him not having someone watch him like a day and a half.
So, my thing is I don't HAVE to do this but I want to do what is best for Nash. I know it won't be detrimental either way but like everything else concerning Nash I am way over thinking it. In reality it would all be okay either way probably but I need to make a decision. If it would be beneficial to be around others and have a scheduled day a couple days a week to get used to what is eventually going to be his reality in the next year or two then I want to do it. If he doesn't necessarily need it and it is not going to benefit him than I don't want to.
Anybody want to chime in??? I'm all ears. I need to make a pros and cons list.

5 comments:

katandkarl said...

it sounds pretty win-win honestly.... chris will be close and your mom and MIL can always go get him too....

i will probably find a MDO program in the fall for nate (and maybe get a PT job! shhh.). i actually dig the thought of him being with some little friends without me. honestly, he did love his little daycare friends the six months he was there. (i just wanted him there LESS and more with ME!)

i think you have to do what is comfortable for you!

Unknown said...

One of my sisters, who is by no means an expert (though she has worked in preschools), has said a general guideline is to have them in one at least one full day for each year that they are. So a one-year-old would go one day a week, and a three-year-old three days, etc. She said that way they're able to handle five days of kindergarten when they're five. Or something like that.

sdhorton said...

I think I have decided against it. I was all for it and thought I should give it a try because I saw on website that each class had a curriculum but when I talked to the director she said that basically the one year old class is just babysitting and them having free play. It's is not until they are two that they start teaching them things and doing art and different activities so I think I am going to wait until he's two.

Big Fan of Trace,Gracie, and Nash said...

Glad you are waiting! He's growing up soooo fast, and I want some time with him,because before you know it he will be in school full time and then "gone are the days" with our little man. But I would have certainly understood whatever decision you came to. Time to CELEBRATE- one more year with the "little man".

Cristi Walker said...

I'm putting Makenna in at ALS one day a week, Thursdays. I think she needs to be around other kids. She doesn't play much with other kids, she tends to keep to herself so I think she needs this. And it is only one day a week so I don't think it will hurt her at all. She will still be with DJ's mom and my aunt a few days a week and then I can either work or do stuff around the house that day. I think it would be good for Nash. I don't think you should do it full time but one or two days a week will be good for him and he will probably like it.