Friday, June 19, 2009

1 year check up

Today was Nash's check up. He weighs 22lbs 11oz and is 30inches long. He has had a cold and when she checked his ears he had a minor ear infection in which she gave us meds for. Nash woke up super early this morning and would not take a nap before his 10:00 appointment today so after he was weighed, messured, and played some he fell asleep on me with nothing but his diaper on. He was OUT. The doctor came in and listened to him and did her normal checking him out and he slept through the whole thing until the shots of course. All and all he did well with those. I made Chris stand with him. I hate watching that. He got three shots and Chris said if I would of saw what happened on the last shot I would not have been happy. Apparently, she stuck him a couple times trying to get the needle in. (argh, mother hen in me coming out)
What is most helpful to me about the doctor's appointment is asking questions about the next stage and I love our doctor. He is doing all his mile stones. I mentioned that he wasn't walking and she said that was okay and really he was not expected to walk until 15 months. That was surprising because I know I walked at 10 months and know other kids who were walking now but I guess there is a time frame in which it's normal to walk and some may be on the later end. 15 months is our next appointment so Nash will hopefully be walking in himself. I am ready for him to walk (I think). He is just so heavy and it's hard to lug him around all the time.
A couple of other helpful things which I always have questions about is food. She basically said that he can have pretty much any thing except peanut butter if we haven't given it to him already. She said if you can mash food between the rough of your mouth and tounge that he can have that. Also apparently when they are one they don't need as much milk. Nash has still been getting his regular bottles. She said he really only needs 16ozs a day. She also advised me on how to do the sippy cup. She suggested when I am with all day to start just giving it to him and cut the bottle out cold turkey and it might take him a while but he will get it. She also said to wait until he gets over his cold before starting that. So, this was helpful info to me and I know some of my "readers" out there are in same boat as me which is why I am passing the info along.
Also, she commented on how surprised she was that Nash had not had an ear infection until now. She said that the average baby has at least 3 ear infections and 7 or 8 colds the first winter. Now that is a lot of sick babies. I am a firm believer that breastfeeding helped Nash not get sick. I breastfeed through until April and now wished I would have been able to keep it up more than I did. Oh well, now we are on whole milk and that is MUCH better than formula. I hated formula from the begining. It stinks. If it is not shaken well it has clumps in it. I just don't like it.
So, there you go! (Wow! I went on way longer than I expected)

4 comments:

katandkarl said...

woo hoo... nate's 1 year is on the 30th... i am very much looking forward to NO MORE FORMULA as well!

Beth T. said...

Who is your pediatrician? Just wondering if you use the same one that we used when we lived there. By the way, Brooklyn didn't start walking till she was 15 months. Each child is different and will do it on their time. I have to remind myself of that even now. :)

sdhorton said...

We use Dr. Mier at Sherwood Family Medical. We really like her. I have friends that use her as well.

sdhorton said...

sorry that's Dr. Miers. i'm tired so i left off the s