Wednesday, February 4, 2009

a little bit of everything

My son is a wild man. Here lately he has been very active. I put him in his walker and he is going 90 to nothing. He pushes off with both feet and fly around the kitchen, into the laundry room, and in the breakfast room. He wants to get into the dishwasher and pull things off the baker's rack which is very dangerous so I tend to keep him away from that area. Even when he is playing in the floor or sitting with me., he's grabbing at everything which sometimes is out of his reach so then he falls over and then scoots around (mostly backwards). I am a little overwhelmed and terrified of when he is actually crawling and can get into what he wants to. I need to baby proof and have some area for him to play in that he can be penned in. I am thinking of different ideas but not certain on any now.
Work has been a little stressful which is the nature of my job anyways. I don't think most people realize how stressful my job can be sometimes. I try to not let it bother me and am pretty good about "leaving it at work". I have learned a little bit about myself lately which is always eye opening for me. Some times good and some times bad. I have learned about how I deal with stress. Since work is by nature stressful and life has it's share of stress in it as well so I tend to TRY to block out other areas of stress. Meaning if I know that someone else is having stuff going on or things I could get involved in that would be stressful for me I tend to try to avoid it or block it out. Sometimes I think I may be being a bit selfish because I am not "being there" or whatever when someone else has something going on with them. Other times I think it is completely healthy and can totally wear a person out by having too much going on in their life. Granted if it is something that I can or need to be there for someone I will but I am very selective about it. My idea is why add stress to my life if is not necessary. I don't like it. It gets me in a funk quick.
On that note my aunt passed away on Sunday and the funeral is today. I am going to it and I know this is selfish too but I hate going to funerals. I don't guess no one really enjoys them. I hate to see other people hurting especially people that I care about. It is like with work I can leave it at work but it's hard to leave it when it is your family going through it. I have kind of distanced myself from the whole event. I have called and checked on things, tried to stay optimistic and positive, prayed daily for my family, but other than that have not done much. What can you do? right? So, today I am in a funk because I guess I can't avoid it much longer.
So, instead of talking about her death I will say some things that I will remember about my aunt. Her birthday is the day before mine so if I would have been born a day earlier my middle name would of been Diane instead of Denise. I used to call her on her birthday because it was pretty easy for me to remember. I spent several Saturday mornings at her and my uncle's house. On the weekends with my dad, I would wake up early and walk up the street to visit them. She made awesome sweet tea. It was soooo sweet that it almost tasted like syrup and to a kid you can't get much better than that. I remember eating at her house a lot. Most of our family events would be at their house. One thing that she cooked that I liked is potatoes that were chopped up and fried and of course I ate them with Ketchup. They had those plastic cups that have the built in straw to them. To this day I still prefer to drink from a plastic cup rather than a glass and as a kid I thought it was cool that the straw was built in. Also, her and my uncle got married at a very young age and have been married for 39 years. To me this was a big deal, in my family I did not see much of that. She greatly loved and cared for family and raised two of her granddaughters as her own. I have not been close to her in a while. Mainly just growing up. I would see her at family events. The last time I saw her was when we were building our house. Her and my uncle would come by and look at it from time to time and I showed them around.
So, I guess today is just going to be one of those days.

No comments: