Sunday, February 8, 2009
Let the weaning begin!
Okay I believe it may be time to start weaning. What led me to this was several things. One this weekend I thought I will try to see if he will take a bottle from me because he used to totally refuse. I fixed two ounces and he sucked it down. On Saturday, he ate his dinner, nursed, and still acted hungry. So, I fixed four ounces and he sucked it down and cried wanting more. I gave him two more ounces with the same results. Tonight the same thing, he was acting hungry so I nursed him. He basically did not do it for very long and just looked and laughed at me. He really wouldn't nurse so I thought let me try a bottle. I did 5 ounces. He sucked it down wanting more. Then he did another two ounces. I don't know if he just prefers the bottle now or needs more than I can give him but I think it's time to start weaning. I have also switched over to the bigger bottles now that he is drinking more and the nipples have a different flow to them. Basically, the milk comes out faster so I think he likes it better. What's hard for me is that nursing comes so naturally that I am going to have to consciously start weaning him. There would be times this weekend I would think about giving him a bottle and then just end up nursing him. We really don't have any set schedule so it's hard for me to know when to skip a feeding. I am going to only pump once at work this week instead of twice and then go from there. Slowly decreasing nursing and instead doing formula. It is a bittersweet time. I will miss it but I feel like he needs more and it may be time to move on. There will be the pros too. Not having to worry about nursing when we are out and pumping. The cons I already don't like cleaning up the bottles and purchasing formula. Also, to me it seems to have a weird smell. I may just not be used to it. He went a good six and half months of nothing but breast milk. Then did half and half when I was gone because I was not pumping enough. Now we are going to cut down more. I feel great about having met my goal and exceeded it. I never would have thought that starting out. I have enjoyed breastfeeding and think it is great for many reasons. No one ever tells you how obsessed you become about breastfeeding but you totally do! At least you will not have to read any more of my breastfeeding posts. (maybe, maybe not)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
obsessed? no! (heehee. i will say that it is amazing how much i DONT think about my boobs these days... though i do miss it!)
GL with the weaning... and if you decide not to or however you decide to do it... whatever works for you and nash.. it will be great.
look forward to getting the boys together sometime...
Post a Comment