Friday, November 14, 2008

Birth Story

Crisit's birth story made me think about mine. Even though it was far different and not very pleasent, it was definately a experience I won't forget. I went to the doctor for my ususal check up. My cervix had been so far back that it was difficult for her to reach. When she finally got to it (Yes that was very painful), she said I had progressed some (maybe 1 1/2 and a little bit more effaced). She stated that she could go ahead an schedule an induction hoping that when labor started my cervix would "swing back around". I was giddy about this. Went home, Chris and I packed and headed for the hospital. However, I was very nieve about what this meant. They had to insert a pill every four hours to help me dialate more and efface more. I did not know I would be strapped down to the bed with all these machines hooked up to me in my hosptial gown. Nor did I know how painful it would be to have these things inserted with my cervix so far back. However, the first one was inserted and the contractions came full force. I was in a lot of pain and could not get comfortable. The nurse said that the important thing was for me to sleep tonight because tomorrow the induction would start and it would be a long day. So, I was given pain pills and sleep medication. I remember when she checked me the second time to insert the pill. She said I was at 3 1/2 and starting to efface good and inserted the next pill. Mind you I was in a fog from the medication. Then I remember her coming in saying the baby's heart rate is droppng and they are going to keep an eye on it. Next thing I know they say, we called your doctor, she is on her way, and we are going to have to do a c-seciton. I went on pure auto pilot or addernaline out of my stedated state and called family members to tell them. This was about at 3:00 am. The next thing I remember was being in the surgery room. My doctor was talking to me and the guy gave me a spinal tap. They were touching my stomach and asked me if I felt anything. I said yes. They said we are going to have to put you to sleep. The whole time I was asking where Chris was because I saw him get suited up but he was not back there with me. He ended up not being able to stay in there with me because I was sadated and it was a little scarey with Nash's heart rate dropping. Nash was born at 3:19am. I really don't know what my next memory was but at some point I woke up and they handed me Nash. I was SO EMOTIONAL. I cried all day and was in and out of conscousness thinking I did not get to see my son. Even though I had and apparently other than Chris was the first person to hold him. Apparently I would not let go of him either and he just slept on my chest all day while I was asleep. I remember how sweet and cute he was. I called him "sweet pea". I was a wreck all the first day and don't remember much of it other than bits and peices and apparently was not very modest like I usually am as far as breastfeeding goes. I apparently said some crazy things and somewhere it is on tape. I kept asking people who all was there or what happened when they thought I remembered.
So not the best birth story. Turns out with how big his head was and how little I am, the nurse said I probably would not have been able to have him vaginally anyways. The good things that came out of it was the Chris got to be such a big part of his birth. He got to hold him first, carry him to the nursery, watch the bath and the nurse checking him out and he was so excited. Nash apparently did a little push up when he was first born. Dad was so proud. He got to take pictures in the nursery. Bad parts are my lack of memory for the experience, my awful pictures from being druged, and my eyes swelled up from crying so much. Also, it was a scarey situation but very thankful that Nash was healthy and did not have any complications from the birth and that I was sedated enough not to know how scarey it really was.

No comments: