Wednesday, November 5, 2008

another one?

The idea of having another baby right now is totally out of the question (as far as what is in my control) but there is the question of whether we will have another one. Frankly, I don't know. I hear you have to have another one so you can have a little girl. One, how do you know that you will have a girl? Two, I like my boy just fine. Several things go through my head. When I was pregnant with Nash, I did want a boy. To me they just seemed like more fun and I wanted a "momma's boy" and someone to carry the Horton name. However, when I found out I was having a boy I was real excited but then I thought what do I know about boys and what about all the fun things I did as a girl like sleep overs, etc. With that said, I am not a real girlie girl. I like sports and not into all the trendy things. If I had a girl she would likely be the same way which I would be okay with. However, if we did have another one and it was a boy I would be okay with that too (two momma's boys!). I definately at that point would be DONE. I can't imagine having three. The idea of having another one seems mighty difficult. I am the primary care giver and I have to think what would I do if I had two right now. It would be awfully hectic. It feels hectic with just one. So, I am okay with just having one as well. I can give my time and engery into one child. I have heard all the arguements against only children. You don't want them to be lonely, spoiled, and yada yada yada. I get it. But they are often times very successful. (Tiger Woods is an only child) They also have the benefit, as far as birth order, of the oldest and the baby. I am also a big tight wad and money issues really get to me. I think could we afford two?? Not just now but long term. Looking at the Toys R Us add puts things in prespective. There are these hot toy items that are mighty expensive. I saw one thing in there for $600. That is just crazy! I remember when my sister-in-law had my nephew (the first grandchild on both sides), that week (maybe even that day) people were asking when are you going to have another one. I thought "Whoa! Are you serious? She just had this one". So, that is where I am at now. I just had my first child almost five months ago. I am new at this whole thing and rolling along trying to do the best I can not really thinking about another one. I could however see myself being more and more sad as Nash keeps getting bigger and not being so babish any more wanting another baby but they grow too fast and don't stay babies for long. So where I stand right now is we will see. I am not ruling it out but I'm not ruling it in either. Idealy I would like several things in place if we were going to have another one (money issues, bigger vehicle, being able to spend more time at home, etc). That is idealy and probalby all that would not happen but I would at least want to wait until Nash was older and could be more independent. I love my son SOOO MUCH and can't imagine loving another one like that but I hear you just do. Also, I think we are so blessed to have a healthy and happy child. What if we were not so blessed next time? A lot to think about but I am not thinking about it any time soon. Like I said, we will see.

2 comments:

DJ Walker said...

What exactly does Chris say about the whole thing? or does even get a say? Also, based on the last line of that email, I already know what the answer is....ask Chris was "we'll see" means in Horton language....

sdhorton said...

That's funny! Chris definitely gets a say but I don't think he has offically said. I have at times caught some hints that he might want another one, even possibly a girl, now that he has his boy. I think we are both bascially on the wait and see page. Not necessarily "Horton language". I have not wanted an officail answer because I am not even ready to be thinking about it yet. I am more terrified of getting pregnant so soon then he would be.