Wednesday, July 29, 2009

crying it out

Nash has never been a good sleeper. His sleep is never consistent. He wakes up early. He was doing real well and very predictable (going to bed at 9 and waking up at 6). This was after I did the crying it out method. The last time I did it, after one night of it he started sleeping through the night. The first time it took a couple of nights. Well, we are having to do it again.
Nash did real well on vacation and sleep through the night but how he went to sleep was since we were sharing a room and he had his blow up mattress on the floor we would have him in bed with us when he was tired and he kind of rolled around and laid his head down and finally went to sleep. At that point we just put him on the mattress.
When we came back from vacation, I would rock him to sleep and put him in his crib. He would sometimes wake up as I put him in the crib but generally would go back to sleep but he started waking up in the middle of the night. I would rock him and he would be sound a sleep but as soon as I got up to put him in the bed he started screaming. So we resorting to him sleeping with us after he woke up in the middle of the night.
I was kind of hoping that one night he would just not wake up in the middle of the night any more when he was in the crib. That has not happened. The final straw that made me realize we have to do something about this now was when I woke up this morning with Nash in the bed and my husband on the couch. Nash is a crazy sleeper and ends up all over the place. So when Chris went to bed last night, Nash and Sadie were all in his spot so he just decided to sleep on the couch.
Chris really doesn't and hasn't complained but he knows we can't keep doing this. Now that he is home more he sees how upset Nash gets at night and he feels sorry for him. He said the other night that "Nash sounds awful" and one night brought him to our bed when he was crying.
So we have decided that we can't keep doing this and that we (more I than we) are going to try the crying it out thing again. So, I have my fingers crossed. It worked wonderfully the last time and that is what I keep telling myself. It's not that I let him cry forever. I let him cry a while go in and pat and soothe him leave and repeat later until he falls asleep and each time the time intervals increase. In reality it is probably harder on me then him.
So my fingers are crossed and I am getting geared up for a long night and trying to talk myself into not giving in and hoping it is not going to be that bad. We'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't want to overstep any bounds here, because I know baby sleep stuff is a super touchy subject, and I'm way new at this, but have you considered setting something similar up in your room like you had on vacation? Maybe a little cot or pallet on the floor? I've been reading the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, and I'm planning to start trying some of her methods in a couple of weeks (some of her methods aren't for babies under four months). Just some food for thought.

sdhorton said...

You are not over steping your bounds. I am open to ideas. Dr. Mier's suggested the crying it out thing and when I tried it in the past it worked and worked quickly so that's why I tried it again. I will have to look into the thing your talking about because I'm sure it will come up again.

sdhorton said...

It worked wonderfully. I'm glad to say Nash slept for 8:30ish to 6ish in his own bed without waiking up last night!!!! YAY!