Monday, July 27, 2009

I will be how old????

Technically, I will be 28 tomorrow. That’s sounds completely crazy to me. When I do the math, it adds up. I think about the fact that I graduated high school, graduated college in 3 and ½ years, got married, went to graduate school, been married for 5 years, in graduate school for 2 years and out for 3 years, and have a 13 month old so I can see that technically I am 28. It is so unreal how reality does not feel real. Age isn’t a big deal to be. Okay it kind of is. 25 I was okay with but 28 feels awfully close to 30 and 30 does not feel so good.
We had a birthday deal at my dad’s house the other night for me and my brother (he is three years older and his birthday is 3 days after mine). My sister-in-law made the comment that I was 14 when her and my brother started dating. Whoa! That hit me weird. So that was half of my life ago. It does feel like a long time ago but not that long. It also does not help that I look basically the same as a I did when I was 14. (don’t know if that is good or bad. It can be both I guess)
Anyways birthdays (my birthdays) are not really that big of a deal to me. Growing up my brother and I had a lot of our birthday parties together and back then I did not like it because it never felt like my birthday. Now, I don’t mind and actually kind of like it because I don’t have to be the center of attention. I always feel uncomfortable when the attention is focused on me. Saying that I have a lot celebrations around my birthday. A friend of mine has her birthday a couple of days before mine and we usually do something together (this time it was breakfast at IHOP with the kiddos). Then, since my parents are divorced we usually go to my mom’s and dad’s for mine and my brother’s birthdays. Then Chris’s parents take us out to eat for my birthday as well. That brings the grand total to 4 birthday celebrations. So the celebration has started and will end this year at my mom’s house this weekend. Then I won’t have to think about the fact that I really am 28 again because when it is not right around my birthday or when I have to fill in my age on a form I tend to forget about how old I am and actually have to think about it a minute when someone asks.

1 comment:

Beth T. said...

Happy Birthday! I'm 30 now, and I've come to grips that the 30's are the new 20's. If you know what I mean. 30 is YOUNG! :)