Today I was offered and accepted a new job. I have tons of emotions about this particular change. I have been nervous waiting for the job offer, accepting the job offer, and resigning from my current job. I have been at my job for four years. The only job I have had since graduate school. It is not uncommon for people in my field to change jobs frequently due to the high rate of burn out in my profession but I am a pretty loyal person and would and probably could stay at one job for the rest of my professional life. However, I was feeling it in my bones that it was time for a change. So when I knew of a job that opened up that sounded like it had a lot of pros, I pursued it and here I am accepting the position.
The job has it pros and cons as any job does but I feel that the pros outweigh the cons even though I haven't really sat down and wrote them all out. I feel like I could stay at my current job and see it through and deal with it. However, it also has pros and cons but lately it has been feeling like more cons. More so that the the new job has more pros than my current job. So as stated in my resignation letter something to the effect of "I have accepted another position that is best for me and my family at this time". So, logically this move make sense but it is still a difficult one. I think all change (positive or negative) is scary and I am not naive enough to think this is going to be the perfect job.
Normally I hate change. Who doesn't, right? We are creatures of habit. But also I have been through enough changes in my life time that I am pretty adaptable and cope well with change once it happens. I think I have good survival skills and they kick in in the heat of the moment even though I dread it when it is about to happen. What is going to be difficult is as we call in the profession "terminating" with my current clients some of them I have had for the entire four years. It's bittersweet. Since, I have to give a month's notice I hope to slowly transition and come to terms with the change and be refreshed after a much needed week's vacation and be ready to start my new adventure.
What has meant so much to me is friends of mine who know me both professionally and personally who have been super supportive, validated my feelings, and encouraged me in this decision. Very thankful for you people (even though most of them don't read my blog they know I appreciate them). Also thankful for family that have been supportive as well.
1 comment:
Oh, wow, Shannon. Give me a call sometime and tell me about this new job! Congratulations! You're right, change is scary sometimes, but you're one of the toughest birds I know.
Post a Comment