Friday, June 18, 2010

drug test experience

So, I had my drug test and physical for my new job today. I decided to go ahead and get it over with on one of my Fridays off. The plan was to go and do those things and then meet up with Kat and Nate for lunch and play and Chik-fil-a (hey that rhymes).
Anyway, I go do the physical which was basically me answering questions about my physical and mental health and then I was sent to another clinic to do my drug screen. I had Nash with me because we were meeting up with Kat and Nate later. I get him out, put him in his stroller (in the 100 and something heat index),  walk across the huge parking lot, and go up the the 7th floor to be told that I couldn't get my drug screen if I had a child with me. I was very puzzled by this at first. The lady said he can't go back with you and you can't leave him alone in the lobby. I was thinking could you not just watch him while he sits outside the door for two seconds while I pee in a cup?. I was frazzled trying to think of what to do. There was a lady who looked nice but was a complete stranger in the lobby who offered to sit with him. Before I could even react to that which I didn't know how I would nicely say "no thanks lady your scaring me", the drill Sergent, I mean nurse/receptionist lady at the window said "no we can't leave the child with someone he doesn't know". So, I called Kat and asked if I could drop Nash off to play with Nate for a few minutes while I went and did the drug screen. She lived close and was glad to do it so that was nice. In the mean time, I had to call the lady who sent me to do my drug test to tell her what was going on because you are supposed to take the test within 30 minutes from the time they send you. She was floored by this too and offered to watch Nash for me as I was just at her clinic a few minutes ago. I dropped Nash off at Nate's. He was more than happy to be there with his friend and didn't hesitate at all when I left.
I head back up there and all of this is hitting me. Apparently, people who would typically fail drug test pull all kinds of tricks including taking children in with them to pee in a cup.  So, I start the procedure and the same lady was there and she really should be a probation officer or a jail guard because that is how I felt the entire time. I had to take my keys, wallet, phone, and anything I had in my pockets and lock it in a box. She ordered me and watched me to wash my hands. She told me to pee in the cup past the white line. So as I am feeling quite like an inmate I do as I am told very submissively. I go to pee in the cup and it wasn't quite to and no where near over the white line. I honestly thought this lady is going to make me drink a ton of water until I fill the cup up. I was nervous to give it to her. I go give her the cup quite timidly and tell her I didn't make it past the white line. She asked if I had drank any water today and I said no. She said "you mean you didn't drink any water before coming and you knew you had a drug test?".  Anyways, the urine was enough. She gave me more orders. I followed them to the t and politely got out of there.
Then I thought is all this really necessary. She can tell by my form that it is for a pre-employment drug screen not because I have a felony possession charge and a drug record. Then I thought of multiple clients of mine who have sat in my office and talked about all the clever ways they have learned to pass drug test. Hey. whatever.  It is what it is. I guess she is just doing her job and I am sure she has a lot of hulligans out there who have tried every trick in the book. ( I hope I don't look like a hulligan). As someone who has never used an illegal substance, I was completely shocked and thought this must be what being on probation or in jail is like. Glad it's over with.

No comments: