Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mother's Day Out

So, I went to check out the Mother's Day Out Nash is going to go to next school year today. I posted about this before but basically it is the Mother's Day Out that the church associated with Chris's school has. I am happy, sad, excited, and nervous all at the same time but all together I feel pretty good about it. I feel good about it for several reasons. I have always thought that two was a good age to put him in some sort of learning environment. Chris is basically right across the parking lot away from it. My work is maybe 3 minutes away. There are good people running it who have been there a long time. Nash's teacher next year is very nice. She has been there a long time and I have heard nothing but good things about her. Also, Nash will really only be there from about 8-2 with a two hour nap in there so it's not like he will be here a real long time each day. My mom and mother-in-law will be picking him up for me and still have some time with him which helps me out a lot but they also are glad to still be getting some time with him after keeping him for me for so long. They have structured days and little lessons and themes that they do each day. Nash is so smart already that I think he will really do good with that. He also has been really enjoying children's church so that makes me think that he will like this as well. They also work on potty training in that class. We are going to introducing it to Nash really soon (as soon as his Elmo potty arrives) so maybe we will have a head start on it, if nothing else we will be getting him used to the idea.
I am sad and nervous because he has never been watched by people other than family. I am sad that he will be such a big boy with his backpack and lunch box going to "school" everyday. I hope he likes it and does well. I am also a little nervous about him getting sick more from being around a bunch of kids.
I have worked in daycares all through college. I don't have anything really bad against them. I've seen the good and bad from them. The bad that I don't like is having to leave your kid with complete strangers for very long hours at at time. I remember thinking I probably see these kids more than their parents when they would drop them off at 6 something and pick them up close to 6. There were always teachers in and out. There were some real positives too. Kids learned a lot. They learned social skills and age appropriate lessons. They got into a routine. They got attached to their teachers. There were some really good and caring teachers. I would like to think I was one of them in my day care days.
So the registration is filled out. The check is written. Nash is first on the list for the four days a week. (I will hopefully still have my Fridays with him if nothing changes at work). We still got until August so maybe that is enough time to prepare myself that my little boy is getting to be a big boy!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Sylvan Hills' Mother's Day Out is awesome! All three of our girls have been through there, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. If he is going to be in Ms. Connie's class, you will LOVE her!!!! She is amazing, and she loves those kids so much! She does all kinds of fun crafts with them, and I give her most of the credit for potty training our first daughter, Abby. And, don't worry about him getting sick there, believe me they are very clean and send kids home at the first sign of any sickness. My girls have been very healthy... never seemed to be sicker from being there. It is a great place!

AA said...

It is a difficult step to take by putting your child into another person's care. However, you are right they learn so much. Lane comes home saying his friends names from school and prays for his teacher at night! I love having him in a program part of the week!

sdhorton said...

Thanks guys. I agree. Kari-it really helps coming from someone who has experience with the program.