Monday, August 10, 2009

my visitor

Obviously by the title of this post if there are any males that read this blog you probably don't want to read this post. Females please read and give me any advice, suggestions, your experiences, or what have you. This is not a topic that I particularly like to discuss but it has been such an issue this time.
My periods have been rough since having Nash. I started on birth control a month or so after having Nash. I knew the first few would be tough but they have not gotten much better. Before getting pregnant my periods weren't really that bad, even before I was on birth control. I rarely felt the need to take pain relievers. Now I start hurting a week before I start. I get real irritable around the time I start and while I am on it. I have a constant headache. I feel sick to my stomach. I know they say after having a baby they are worse but I did not think it would keep up this long. I thought it should at least level out by now. The only good thing I can say about them is they are fairly light but I would trade having a heavier one for the symptoms I am having any day.
So, today I called the nurse because I normally just have a tough period get over and don't think about it until the next one. This time I thought maybe I need to switch birth control or they could tell me something. I spoke to the nurse today and explained everything. She basically said that the birth control I am on is the best one for these type of symptoms and to just treat the symptoms with Motrin (a therapeutic dose which apparently is a higher dose than you normally take). I have hardly ever had to take medication for my symptoms but now I have to and have to keep taking it which I hate because if I am on the best birth control for the symptoms I am having why do I have to take extra meds for my symptoms?
My doctor's appointment is not until January and I think I am going to discuss it further with her then and see if there are any better options or is this just how it is going to be for here on out. If it gets too unbearable I may try to get in sooner. Or will it just take more time for it to level out. Something has got to give because it's not any fun and I don't want it to continue from month to month.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so my period hasn't come back yet or anything, but I will say that you should probably get on a different OCP. Doesn't matter that the nurse says you're on the best one for your symptoms, you need to be on the best one for your body, and this clearly isn't it. I don't think this sounds "normal," but maybe it is postpartum (though it's been over a year...). Back in the day, I tried out a good handful of pills, because they were making me nutso. And I'm not even sure I'm going back on the pill when my period comes back--I'm thinking of trying something else. Anyway, I wouldn't just trust this nurse, and I wouldn't keep going through this till January. I'd get in to see your doctor ASAP. You're a working mom, and you don't have time to feel crappy one fourth of every single month!

katandkarl said...

yea that is no fun. i am currently not taking birth control and haven't noticed a difference (pre and post babe). I use TCOYF/basal body temp method. (my cycles are quite regular)