Friday, July 22, 2011

The HEAT has got to go

As those of you know who live in the area, it has been WAY TOO HOT lately. I am so ready for some downpouring rain to cool things off or more importantly fall (my favorite season of the year). I have always heard about being out in the heat is unsafe for children and the eldery and how quickly that you can get dehydrated or have heat realated issues. Well, since I wasn't technically in either category and never had any major trouble I didn't think much of it. Now I do. There so should also be a warning for us pregnant folks to.
Tuesday night I started to have these weird heart palpatations and it scared me. I laid down and rested for a while and they went away and when I got back up they started full force. So I called the after hours number and of course they told me to go to the ER to be safe. So after 5 crazy hours at the ER which including blood work, ekg, and urine taken, and lots of craziness with how packed it was and the "interesting" people there. It turns out I was getting dehydrated, had a bladder infection, white blood count was high, and blood sugar was low.
After I found out what was wrong it totally made sense. I had not been drinking near like I should. I would just get busy and forget. To make matters worse, I might start off my day with a caffienated drink and not drink much water the rest of the day. Also, I hadn't been eating much. With it being so hot I don't feel like eating. I don't even really feel hungry until I am really hungry. The peeing a lot I chalked up to just being pregnant but there apparently was more to that. 
Even though the ER visit was miserable, it was a good wake up call and I am going to be more intentional about taking care of myself and little Griffin even in this awful heat!

No comments: