Friday, October 2, 2009

It has been a ROUGH couple of days

It all started Wednesday. I left for work like I normally do and Nash seemed fine. When I called to check on him in the afternoon his Mimi said that he has not been himself. He has been wanting to be held, fussy, has not napped, was drinking a lot, and felt hot. When I got home he was still the same way. I checked his temp after he had already been given Motrin and it was 101 something. That night more of the same and his temp kept going up. I think it got up to 102.4 and even with Motrin did not go under 101. That night was horrible. Nash was up A LOT. Even in his sleep he cried or moaned.
So, I got him a doctor's appointment. I had given him Tylenol a couple hours before the appointment even with it he had 101.3 at the doctor's office. They immediately tested him for flu because apparently it is everywhere. Don't know if you have ever been tested for the flu but it is awful and they do it the same way with babies and adults. They stick this swab thing very high up your nose that burns, makes your eyes water, and sneeze. It was over from that point on. Nash screamed the entire time. I was in the room a good 20-30 mins waiting for the test to come back and the doctor to come in and he screamed the whole time to the point that I started crying as well. I could not do anything to make him happy. The nurse came in and asked if he was okay and gave him more Tylenol to help. The doctor came in and checked him which he of course hated. He had to force Nash to open his mouth and stick the stick in to see his throat which caused Nash to gag and was pure awful. He said that he had ulcers in the back of his throat and several teeth coming in. He gave me a hand out on it. It's called herpangina which is something that apparently just kids get. It is a viral infection which the only thing I can do for it is give him Motrin every six hours. He okayed me to give him a lot higher dose than the one I was giving him and directed me to do it consistently every 6 hours.
So that is what I have been doing and it is awful. Even with the Motrin Nash still has a temp. He is very fussy. Is not eating. He drools all over himself to the point of his shirt being soaked. He is drinking his milk good for the most part. He does not sleep good. He did eat some ice cream tonight but even with that did not want much of it However, he did more of that than anything else.
The doctor said the fever should last 2 to 3 days and his ulcers should last about a week. It has been two days and tomorrow will make the third so I have my fingers crossed. However tonight he feel asleep at 6:30 (30 mins before it was time for his meds) and did not get up (all the way) until 10:00. He was burning up. He had 103.4. He has drank a lot of milk and was given his next dose of meds. We have watched Word World a kazillion times and are watching it again until he wants to go back to sleep.
I have been fortunate that Nash has not been sick much and this by far is the worst. I have been thankful to have family and friends who are helpful and supportive. I know this is not the end of the world but when your baby's sick it feels like it. It makes my heart go out to those whose children have been sick a lot or have had worse ongoing things. I can't even imagine. I am hoping and praying that soon we see some signs of Nash feeling better.

1 comment:

Big Fan of Trace,Gracie, and Nash said...

I have been worried about both of you. Glad to hear things went a little better last night for you guys.