This is a follow up post regarding my issues with birth control. A quick recap: After I had Nash and got back on birth control and I had terrible cycles so I switched birth controls. I started on Seasonque. It really did help with my previous issues. When I went to my yearly appointment I had finished the first pack (which is three months worth since you only have a period every three months on this pill). My only complaint was that I was having headaches. Of course with any medication headaches can be a side effect. So the doctor recommended me try the next pack and maybe my body will get used to the higher hormones and the headaches will go away but she said if it doesn't to let her know and she would try me on something else.
Well, I am at the end of my second month of this pack and the headaches have continued and have gotten pretty bad at times. In the last couple months, I know I have had three migraines. I have never had migraines before. I have also often times go to bed with a headache and wake up with one. I never know when a headache is going to turn into a migraine. My headache will come on suddenly. At which point, I normally take an Excedrin Migraine and that typically knocks out most headaches I have had in the past. However a few hours later I will still have a headache so I take another one. Then later it turns into a full blown migraine where I am in the fetal position, don't want any light or sound, and feel like vomiting. At which point, I have taken one of Chris's prescription migraine medication that helps pretty quickly. I feel my head clearing but I feel wiped out from all of it. Then the next day my head feels sore. Other times I just keep a headache more times than not.
So, needless to say I have had enough. My plan is to do my own experiment and go off of birth control for a month and see if that is what is causing it. (of course, I am not wanting to get pregnant now so back up measures will be taken) . I feel this is the only way I can know if the birth control is causing it. It doesn't seem like I should all the sudden be having migraines. I strongly suspect it is due to the pill. Even Chris said recently that he thinks it may be causing it which is odd for him to say.
I can't get over how much my body has changed since having a baby. I never before had issues with my cycle. I never had major issues with birth control. My hair has changed dramatically. Even when putting on my wind pants that fit me perfectly in every other area are super snug when I pull them over my hips I am reminded how much my body is changed. Of course there are various other changes. I guess I really didn't understand to the full extent when people would tell me when I was pregnant "your body will never be the same after you have a baby". I get it now. I just want to do something about the things that might be in my control and hopfully figure out something that works better for me.
3 comments:
Oh, dear. I'm sorry you're having such horrible headaches. I hope going off the birth control helps. If it does, maybe you could try the ring thing. I've suffered from chronic headaches pretty much since I was 9 or 10. Some years haven't been so bad, but other times they're back-to-back, like you've described. One interesting treatment that my uncle had me try was to take an SSRI. I was on generic Lexapro, and it worked like a charm. I wasn't having mood issues, so it didn't have any impact on how I "felt," but I rarely had a headache. So that might be something to look into, too. Of course, now that I'm on Sertraline for my mood, it doesn't do anything for my headaches. But, fortunately, I don't get them quite as often or as bad. Feel better, Shannon!
hope you get it figured out soon. I know you haven't been feeling well. I wonder if another possible side effect is feeling nausiated,because you seem to be sick to your stomach alot lately as well. Love you babygirl!
Shannon, I started having Migraines when I went on the pill as well. When I was off it, I never had one. I would have mild headaches, but I could take some ibuprofen or tylenol, and it would ease it up. When I was on the pill, I had to take prescription migraine meds. I would and did vomit at times. I hate it for you. Will pray for you.
Post a Comment