Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Tattoo

Before I get started, yes it hurt like
crazy and I am glad it wasn't much bigger than it was.
So, I got at tattoo while I was in FL. What really possessed me to do it, I really don't know. My brother gets one every year that he goes down there and I think that is a little much. I have nothing against tattoos (obviously) but never really knew of anything I could think of that I wanted tattooed on me for the rest of my life. I really wasn't planning on getting one this time. However, when I was down there as they were talking about what they were getting the thought kept coming to my head of getting a Jesus fish on my foot.
So, one afternoon my sister who was with us wanted her belly pierced with I was trying to talk her out of just because I saw one done before and saw how bad it hurt. I thought I will just take her down there to see about it and then I will ask about mine. We get there and I explain to the lady what were are both looking for and immediately they say because my sister is 14 and not yet 15 she can't have her's done. I though oh crap the pressure is on me. So I look and find one on the wall that I like. I start freaking out. I decide for whatever reason against everything in me that I am just going to go ahead and do it. One, no one thought I would and for some reason I just fight through the fear and do it.
There is this man there who is tattooed up who is the one going to be doing my tattoo and who is a complete jerk to me the entire time. The reason-I am getting a Jesus fish tattoo. He makes it very clear. He keeps saying Jesus ain't got nothing to do with it or God ain't got nothing to do with it when I am freaking out and calling out on God. I lightly joke back at him. With me being a girl he doesn't just crush me but is being pretty harsh. I see all over Chris's face like "we can leave any time you want". I knew there was a bigger issue going on though so I stuck it out and try to make light ot it even though under any other circumstances I would have been gone. Anyway so while on the table about to or during my tattoo he says "in case you can't tell I am not a religious person". I say something to the effect of "no I can tell". He says "Oh because of the way I look". I say "no it has nothing to do with the way you look. The entire time you have been riding me and giving me a hard time". He says "I just don't believe what you believe. I believe it's whatever that gets you through the day that matters". I say "sir, I am not judging you. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe". His whole attitude changed from that point on. He said "I know your not". The truth is he was judging me the whole time. Thinking I was going to be a preachy Christian and tell him he's going to Hell if he doesn't get his life together and yada yada yada. I am sure he has heard enough of that and that is what he had me pegged for from the word go.
Don't you know I have obessed and analyzed this situation a million times. I feel like I was supposed to get the tattoo. I feel like I was supposed to meet this man. I feel like this man needed to see that even though he wanted me to judge him and pushed every button to get me to I was not going to. That poor man underneath it all has been hurt badly by someone and sadly probably some "Christain". Lord help us. God is love and wants us to show love to others. There as some very wounded people out there who I feel like instead of being preached to need to first feel like they are loved and accepted for who they are.

3 comments:

AA said...

I am so glad to hear the story! I have been so shocked at this and could not wait to talk to you about it after I saw the picture on FB. After reading this story it reminds me how good of a person you are and that you are good at what you do ....even when you aren't at work! I think this was a great story! I will miss you at work and best wishes on your new job!

sdhorton said...

Thanks Amy! That's means a lot. I am still kind of shocked I did it too. You and I will keep in touch. I thought about it and at my Christmas break you will be home with your sweet Lyla and maybe I can come snuggle with her some and let Nash and Lane play.

katandkarl said...

i'll say it again - LOVE IT.