Sunday, September 30, 2012

hospitals are yuck!!!!

Nash had this first hospital stay since birth. He came home from school sick on a Monday with 102 fever. The next day, since his fever wasn't going down with medication, he was crying out in pain, and was very lathargic I took him to the doctor. The doctor was in shock with how sick he was and how fast he got so sick. He was just kind of lifeless. I had to carry him around. He was admitted to the hospital because she thought he had menegitis because of how ill he was and him having bad headaches with it.
Turns out in less than 24 hrs he had gotten extremely dehydrated. They had to do a spinal tap to test for menengitis and he was so dehydrated that she was only able to get a couple of drops of spinal fluid out of him. A very long and painful story short. He stayed in the hospital 2 days which felt like a good week. He was stuck numersous times trying to get IV's in and blood drawn. He did get an IVand lots of fluids and anitibotics in  him. Originally the thought of menengitis and west nile virus was very scary. In the end he had a severe fever virus that invaded his school and strep b.
 Besides Griffin being in the NICU this was the next most painful thing I've been through. It hurts so much to see your child hurt and not being able to do anything about it. He was very ill. I kind of went on auto pilot and did what I had to do but then broke down and had a good cry. It was very good when we started to see our little boy act more like himself. It took him a good week to be totally back to normal.
Hope we can stay out of the hospital. Not a fun experience.

No comments: