Wednesday, September 1, 2010

you gotta take the bad with the good

This week has been a stressful week (already) for a couple of reasons. I think the first thing started last week as I put on my favorite jeans for work and realized they were awfully tight. I could get them on and could manage them okay standing up but sitting down was not at all comfortable. Then this week as I try to figure out what is going on. Was it those jeans that shrunk or have I just gotten bigger? Well to my dismay I have just gotten bigger as when I tried on my other jeans, the majority of them were either uncomfortably tight or I could not button them.
What puzzles me is I really didn't think I was eating any differently. I bring my lunch to work and have lately not been super hungry at night. I normally eat relatively healthy. To make this matter worse is most people don't want to hear when a small person like myself complains of gaining weight so there are only a few people that I can talk to who understand. It's not that I care how much I weigh, in fact I haven't even stepped on a scale. I don't care what size you are it never feels good to not fit in your clothes. So, I have started back to running, done a lot of crunches and leg lifts, started drinking more water, and trying to better watch what I eat (and I say that very loosely).
My other problem is my migraines started back daily again. I don't know what is up with that. I am off birth control and on the same preventative that was helping go for over a week with out one. So, I have a message in with my doctor to see if I need to increase my medication or change it. He talked about putting me on a Betta blocker. I recently talked to a co-worker who just started on one and it helped he tremendously with her headaches. He kind of hesitated to give me it at first because it is for high blood pressure and my blood pressure is relatively low so it might lower it even more which I guess is not a good thing.
Anyhoo, this couldn't come at a worse time. Since changing jobs I don't have my normal insurance for another month. I only have a short term policy for like if an emergency happens. It doesn't cover a lot, especially on prescriptions. I just have a discount card. For example, the medication that I take when I do have a migraine is $270 without insurance and $218 with my prescription card.  Also, with that medication your only allowed 9 pills a month by your insurance and with me having them every day I can go through that pretty quickly. I am hoping for a return phone call tomorrow from the doctor to try something that might help. I know eventually they would go away since I am off the birth control but I don't want to go every day having a migraine until they do.
The good news is I got a check in the mail from my previous job for my share in the profit sharing of the company. I knew it was coming some time but didn't know when. It is a nice size check and one that I intend to deposit and put all of it to my student loan. It will be a big chunk of what I have left to pay on my loans and not much makes me happier than paying off debt. I know I am weird like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, hun. I'm so sorry about the migraines (I feel like maybe I say this in every comment...poor you)!

And I completely understand the weight thing. I know you don't want to hear this, but I think eventually age starts to catch up with us. A hummingbird metabolism doesn't last forever, or so I've found. But there's nothing wrong with adding a little activity and water to your routine!

katandkarl said...

um i love paying down debt too. it makes me irrationally happy! sorry about your migraines friend I was hoping they were OVER.

sdhorton said...

Brooke- that is exactly what I was thinking. I am very close to 30 and it probably will start taking som effort on my part to stay my size where before it didn't. I am not really concerned with what size I am but I have gained in my stomach, hips, and thighs and that is not feeling to great,