Tuesday, September 14, 2010

a little perspective and a little laugh

In my professional life, there have been many things I have experienced/heard/seen pretty much on  a daily basis that help me put things in to perspective in my own life and be grateful, humble, and want to go home and hug my husband and son. This week probably took the cake on those experiences.
In the town I work in there was a fatal car accident that killed an innocent family due to road rage of another person. In that family, four were killed and one survived thus far. One of them that was killed was a 5th grader at the school I work in. I did not know this kid and he wasn't a client of mine but in the role that I am in at the school I went around with the principals and school counselors to the classes this boy was in as they told them of the accident and the death of their classmate. A lot of them, this was how they found out who died in the accident for the first time. I haven't seen many things if anything sadder than a room full of kids and a teacher and staff crying over the loss of their classmate and student. I talked with several kids who were friends with him that were having a rough time with it as to be expected.
Several things are really sad about this incident. One, these people were completely innocent in this situation and just happened to be the car the reckless people hit. Two, everyone was killed but one. That one still may not make it but even if they do they have to learn of the deaths of the rest of their family members. It has been a lot to take in.
I hesitated about writing this post but decided to anyways. One I felt like I needed to get it out and two it makes you think or at least it does me. Life often changes in a blink of an eye. I have had different experiences like this before in my life where something happens to make you realize just how precious life is and how we are truly blessed in so many ways that we take for granted from day to day. My prayers and thoughts are with the family, the school, and the students and I am asking for your prayers as well.

Now for a little laugh that is much needed after such a dark and ugly post.


(picture taken with my phone and not the best quality)

This is my silly son at his friend's birthday party trying on her dress up heels. Yes he wore them and liked to wear them however he almost fell several times, his foot hung of the edge most of the time, and he cried and threw a major fit when we had to take the shoes off to go home.

2 comments:

AA said...

Shannon,
So sorry to hear about the accident that is so sad for everyone and affects SO many people. However, I am thankful for the children and teachers that you are there to help them. You are great at what you do and we have to express our own thoughts and feelings at times too or we get overwhelmed! I miss working with you!

katandkarl said...

so sorry to read about this. seems so unfair. my prayers to the family. and, also, i love nash's heels.